VISENGI's PNG Encoder IP core has been developed to be a standards compliant high speed hardware lossless PNG image compressor. Its main features are:
- PNG compression standard ISO/IEC 15948:2003
- ZLIB and Deflate implementations as per RFC1950 and RFC1951
- Standard headers and special mode for headerless operation
- Lossless 24 bits True Color and 8/16 bits grayscale pixels encoding
- Fast fixed Huffman coupled with efficient deflate algorithm
- Parameterizable ratio of compression efficiency vs. IP core size
- Simple FIFO like I/O interfaces
- Constant Realtime throughput: 1 pixel compressed per clock cycle
- Small start and end latencies, plus one cycle between lines
The compression ratio attained varies greatly depending on the type of image being processed. For example PC screenshots, maps, and graphs compress extremely well under PNG, as opposed to photos and scanned sources. Actually, PNG is complementary to the JPEG standard, which has the opposite behavior.
You may also be interested in VISENGI's PNG Decoder IP Core...
The data interfaces used by the PNG Encoder IP Core (PNGE) are simple FIFO like interfaces with a minimal control/status bus. This is due to the lossless nature of PNG, which actually does not need any parameters.
The input/output interfaces of the PNGE IP core is divided in three different parts:
- Control/Status Interface: control bits to perform soft-reset, to select encoding with PNG headers or headerless, indicate image dimensions and a single status bit to know when PNGE is ready or busy.
- Input Interface: used to feed the core with pixels to compress. It is a very simple FIFO interface that requests pixels row-wise (from left to right and top to bottom).
- Output Interface: simple sequential output of the PNG image's bytes. In the form of a 32 bits FIFO interface with byte enables.
Included with the core is:
- Technical support via email
- IP Core Datasheet
- Instantation Template
- Complete Testbench for source code
- PNG SW analysis tool and guidance
For any further information on this core or if you would like to receive a price quotation, please use the Contact form or the Quote Request button.